Thursday, February 28, 2008

SuperBowl Bargello Top finished


Finally finished the top for my Super Bowl Bargello. The pattern is from Bonnie Hunt and is available on her site. The idea was to piece this baby during all the SuperBowl 'stuff'. I started pulling fabric Friday before the big game. The strange part is I didn't even go downstairs to my stash. I had happened to have all but 2 of these fabrics sitting upstairs waiting to be brought down. I had hosted BINGO for an online group and these were FQ's that had been sent as hostess gifts from various players. I had a bit of trouble laying them out, but Mark, my dear dear husband, has a good eye for patterns and helped me. The original pattern had single rows of all colors (since it was meant to be a very scrappy quilt) but it pleased my eye more to make a few of them doubles. I cut for 8 panels wide, but somehow miscalculated and it would have been too short. I used most of the leftovers for the Braided Border, pattern for which is also on Bonnie Hunt's site. The few strips that were extra are going into a Log Cabin Star - waste not, want not.

This was my first Bargello and they really are interesting to put together. You join the strips first, then make tubes and 'un-sew' the tubes in varying orders. I have a kit for a Heart Bargello which I am now not afraid to cut into, since I understand the theory behind it.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Fran, your colors are great, and I really like the braided border on it, too!

Gina said...

I love the border. It really makes it look more special. the colours are my favs aswell, purples.

love and hugs xxx

Angie said...

Wow, your quilts are GORGEOUS!! ALL of them---I just found your blog and had a look through....I'm especially drawn to your Joanne's BOM---just beautiful!!