Saturday, February 2, 2008

Welcome To My Garden

Anyone who knows me, knows that gardening just isn't "my thing". I mean, I love to look at flowers that other have tended and grown, but the thought of digging around in all that dirt just doesn't 'do it' for me. AND there might be bugs, which makes the whole thing even worse.

But this quilt, is special to me. I started it in 2001 and just completed it this past week - label and all. I remember when I started it. We had just moved to Grove City Ohio after an entire lifetime in the Chicago near west and south suburbs. My Mother moved with us. Alzheimers struck her with a hammer about 2 days after we moved in. She had had just a few symptoms, forgetting a few things here and there,but I guess the stress of the move did her in.

I would sew downstairs and she would come down there with me, working her 'puzzle books'. We had figured if she had little word puzzles to work on, we could save what was left of her mind. She was always working them, pen in hand, looking SO busy. And I would piece blocks, running away from the stress when I could.

Shortly after placing her in a nursing home, I happened to peek into her puzzle books. GIBBERISH! I guess she coldn't remember what to do, just that she should be doing something.

Rosie, we loved you so much! I hope you were able to see that through your fog.


2 comments:

Natalie said...

Your quilts are incredible! And I hear you about gardening, or really anything green for me. I have two plants. One is dying because I accidentally watered it with a bowl that originally had soap in it. Oops.

Valerie said...

Oh I can see why this quilt is so special to you. What a sweet story. It's a beautiful quilt too! :)