Tuesday, March 18, 2008

It Was Thirty Years Ago Today


Yeah yeah I know the correct Sgt. Pepper's lyrics are Twenty years ago today, but the title fit. You can thank me for the earworm in comments, if you so desire.
March 18, 1978 my life was changed forever. I was at a bar, Harlow's in Burbank, IL. I was at that bar often, but what made the night different, was that was one of the few times I was not the driver. Knowing I had a designated driver, and being the day after St. Pat's (always a three day celebration in the Chicago area) I decided I would get wasted, get loaded, become shitfaced,drink-myself-silly ummm....imbibe, yeah that's the word!
Three quarters of the way through the evening, my tolerance point had been reached, I could no longer dance, hell I couldn't even stand, so I decided I'd sit at the bar, something I never did. Harlow's was a hard partying spot and to sit at the bar, meant you wouldn't get asked to dance.
As I sat down, I smelled the unmistakable aroma of COFFEE. I love coffee! I couldn't imagine who would have the nerve to drink coffee at this bar that had a 4 AM license. I turned to my left and there he was. I asked him how he got the coffee and he told me he was a friend of the bartender. I figured it might be a good idea if I had a cup (youknow - the wide awake drunk theory) and asked him to please ask for a coffee for me.
Turns out Mark was a musician who just happened to have the evening off - very rare for a Saturday, much less St. Pat's weekend. AND, he didn't drink! What kind of man was this? We chatted for a long while and my driver decided it was time to leave. Mark asked if I would trust him enough to take me home when Harlow's closed and instinct told me to say "yes".
We went out for breakfast, he gave me his number (I never gave mine out, it was just easier that way) and he dropped me off at my house.
Two weeks later, he proposed. I asked if our marriage would be in the Catholic Church, would we have kids?He answered yes and yes We married in May 1979 and it's been butterflies and meadows ever since. (well not totally, but you know what I mean!)

5 comments:

Natalie said...

A love story! I love it!

Gina said...

What a great story.

happy anniversary

love and hugs xxx

Candi said...

What a lovely story, thanks for sharing:)
HUGZ:)
Candi

QltnRobin said...

Hehehehehe I LOVE that picture of you and hubby. Its a good look back on your youthful days. My Love story started almost the same way! Our VERY First date together was on Pats birthday May 25 and we were spoiled with free drinks from his friends, and we had a Designated driver to take us home. 6 months almost to the day we were married!

Robin in Idaho

Unknown said...

I ran across your blog, searching for people from Harlow's. I believe I could have been the bartender Mark got the coffee from. My name is Joelene, I worked the front of the horseshoe bar full time for 4 years.
Happy Anniversary.